Home Forums Towncraft Suggestions TownCraft's /rules

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JamGotIce 9 hours, 4 minutes ago.

• Author

zachajuwia
    Participant

The command “/rules” is outdated and I’d like to make this suggestion public and official after discussing it with Chimpy and 90Degrees. When using “/rules” the player would get a short rundown of the basic rules of TownCraft. An issue I have with this is that the rules listed are too basic and too short, leaving out essential bulletpoints, such as “No Trolling” and “Claims on survival are deleted if the player is inactive for 2 months.” This command really does need to be changed, and while changing it to a link to the website is somewhat fixing the issue, there are two more solutions that are much more effective and user-friendly.
    The first solution is simply to add on the new rules to “/rules” so the player gets a more thorough rundown of TownCraft’s expectations. This was my initial fix-all solution, but after talking it over with the staff, another solution was raised that would be much easier to implement. This would be to just tell the player to teleport to “/warp rules” or even teleporting them there instead. Chimpy’s response to all my suggestions were that “/warp rules” already existed, and while that is true, “/rules” was always used more universally between servers, and it didn’t help that the old command already gave a shorter list.

TL;DR: The “/rules” command is misleading and should be updated to either inform the player of “/warp rules” or simply allow “/rules” and “/warp rules” to teleport to the same spot.

• This topic was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  zachajuwia. Reason: grammar, punctuation

JamGotIce
    Participant

Well, the rules are also on the website. You might say they might not see it. Well, if a player looks up “family friendly minecraft servers” and sees Towncraft they would want to look at all the posts, forms, etc. They would also look at the rules to see if they are a good fit for the user. They can’t whitelist without going through the website, the Rules tab is shown so the player shouldn’t need to say that they didn’t know the rules.

“when it rains, look for rainbows”
    when it's dark, look for stars.”
    ― Unknown 6:49 am
    “Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.”
    ― Unknown 7:00 am
    “Who is unknown or otherwise known as the guy who makes quotes on top of mine?”-----JamGotIceGaming 8:31am
    “Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' ...
    ---Unknown 8:32 am
    "Alright, just one more quote," ----JamGotIceGaming 9:32 am

zachajuwia
      Participant

While the rules are on the website, as I brought up briefly in the first paragraph, rules tend to have more effect when they’re in-game and easily accessible and digestible- in “/warp rules.” I also agree some people may find TownCraft in the way you described, many simply found it on Minecraft server lists with minimal information, not particularly searching for family friendly servers but servers in general. Ensuring players read the rules is a good idea, however, in the way you described, it would be easy for someone to just skip it. A proper solution to this would just be to teleport them to “/warp rules.”
      TL;DR : Good ideas were presented, but the execution needs Admin review. A seemingly effective solution is to move “/warp rules” to a place it can be accessed in any server in TownCraft, and new players are required to pass the test provided in “/warp rules.”
      Now this highlights a new aspect on the suggestion: new players. I think “/warp rules” should not be exclusive to the survival server. For example, in creative, if you try to teleport to “/warp rules” it simply says it doesn’t exist. I’m not sure if when changing “/rules” yesterday during the walkthrough of “/warp rules,” Chimpy changed it afterwards or only changed it for the survival server, but when I put in the command just now in creative, it again sent me to the simplified rules list that I was concerned with in the first place. This idea I’m about to present isn’t flawless but I’d like to give it up for interpretation: When new players join the lobby, instead of spawning in the middle, they should be teleported to a copy of “/warp rules” in the lobby server, and before being able to teleport to whatever server they’d like, they have to pass the test presented in “/warp rules.”

JamGotIce
        Participant

How would they skip it? They would want to see what they’re pressing. A kid not knowing how to read wouldn’t know how to register in the first place. And even if they could they would look and think it’s an ad at first, but if they don’t see the x button they would know that message was there for a good reason. Then they would see the Rules. But I do think having the old /rules back with all the 5 pages was better

New suggestion

Maybe staff could make it where you can make it that players can’t get into /lobby without typing /rules page 1-5, this would be only the first time.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 12 hours ago by  JamGotIce.

“Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.”
        “Who is unknown or otherwise known as the guy who makes quotes on top of mine?”-----JamGotIceGaming 8:31am

JamGotIce
    Participant

One more suggestionm when a player registers there should be a warning saying:

Please confirm you have read the rules.

Staff, what do you think of this suggestion?

• This reply was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  JamGotIce.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 9 hours ago by  JamGotIce.

JamGotIce
    Participant

Well, I looked in the Rules tab, but did not see no trolling. Isn’t that a rule??

Dowg
    Participant

Great suggestion Zachajuwia! I believe that would make the rules much more accessible and effective. 🙂

JamGotIce
    Participant

The rules are accessible on the website. But, I do agree with Zachjuwia, staff should make a test on rules when a player first joins the server

instead of spawning in the middle, they should be teleported to a copy of “/warp rules” in the lobby server, and before being able to teleport to whatever server they’d like, they have to pass the test presented in “/warp rules.”

Dowg
    Participant

Yes, but the problem is that the rules on the website are different from the ones in game. Compare these locations and you will see that the rules are either presented in a different way or are added to. The book for example at TC4 spawn has several additions to the rules. /warp rules in TC4 while not adding many different rules is presented differently then on the website. This could confuse new players. In fact when I came on for my first time I had read the website’s rules thinking I was all fresh and dandy. Later though I would get into trouble for things that were not listed on the website, but on different servers in game. Zachajuwia’s idea makes it much more simple however. Instead of having multiple different places where new rules are added or presented in a new way. Zachajuwia shortens the rules to one place where a detailed description of all that is expected of a new comer is listed. Then it is followed up by a test therefor insuring that no player can skip the test as you can in TC4.

metallichedgehog
    Participant

Hello,
    I think the main reason behind this issue is that there are many people behind these various sources, not just one person. These people do not all have the exact same idea, but put the big rules in the area they are in charge of. One person puts the rules on the website in one manner, and another person puts them in-game in a manner that works for them, not necessarily following the structure of the website. Keep in mind that the website is not updated every day, so rules may be added in-game without the website having those rules. As for /rules, I thought the last time I checked it just linked to the towncraft.us rules page, but if it does not currently then I apologize for not quite being up-to-date myself. If it does not meet expectations, be aware that changing command specifics can be time consuming and frustrating to work with and would force some downtime upon the server to get fully sorted out, and even then it might need work. However, it is not an impossible suggestion at this time. Also, there are stations (or at least, there were stations) that tested players about the rules here and there, but those may be restricted to most as of this point.

Keep in mind that many of your suggestions are very well possible–it just will take time that people may not have at the moment to accomplish.

Guardian of the Towncraft Minecraft server. May you live on with many potatoes.

Dowg
    Participant

I think you’re spot on! Thanks for taking your time to explain and look over things with us! 🙂

JamGotIce
    Participant

I looked at the /rules in /creative. Looks good but, there’s more info in /rules than the rules on the website. The website gives a good idea of the rules though.

• This reply was modified 9 hours, 2 minutes ago by  JamGotIce.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.